Thursday, December 23, 2010

To move or not to move...moot question?



You think you know your kids, you hope they know you and then you find suddenly, no one knows anyone.

so for years the kids, now adults, have been nagging me to leave NY, come live in PA where they are...I tried to find work there, tried getting a teaching license, looked into options that would make my work more 'portable' rather than the somewhat job specific type writing I was doing. I went to employment agencies who said take a secretarial course, learn Word as a professional (not hunt & peck typing) etc and I thought myself too busy, not to mentioned over extended at work, to start retraining in my late 40s. So in NY I remained until I got so sick...

So now that moving is a reality and actually a necessity...the kids are in panic mode. They're arguing about which neighborhood is best, their schedules dont permit alot of running around to view apartments so I'm previewing online and sending them links, I'm making calls long distance to landlords about availablity...its ridiculous. One daughter was sent rent money so when a place was found, it could be secured asap and then I pack and go.

I have 2 sons physically capable of renting a small uHaul and coming here (8 hour drive) and making this happen, but one says he couldnt possibly do this before May and the other says he cant take 3 days off from work, he needs his pay. I didnt ask for free labor, they would be paid, I would pay for the truck...forget it.

At this rate its very doubtful I'll be relocating. I'll stay in NY w/out insurance until Medicare kicks in and just hope for the best.

When I think of how many times I moved as a single woman looking for the right place-a place to live without a thieving landlord coming in while I was out or having a loony roommate who used a broom to try getting my terrified cat to come out from under the bed...or the neurotic divorcee who would listen to every foot step on her stairs and asked who was coming or going in my apt..

what I thought would be a joyous family project, something to bring healing and that we all wanted and I could not fulfill earlier...now is a source of tension and hostility between them and actually caused a flareup of my arthritis...

If its like this while I'm still here, I cant imagine being in a community where people drive like NYers use the subway to get around, or depending on anyone for anything- Which I said I would never do-nothing in life, in this life (maybe your life its different) is ever simple, straightforward and easy.

No comments: