Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Doll (s)

eBay is a world filled with people's lives being reborn, castoff, sold and discarded. Although I fell in love with the Berenguer new born dolls, they are too expensive. There was a soft bodied 8" baby with an inquisitive look as if to ask, where did you go and why did you leave?
So for the pittance of $5. plus shipping, Pessie arrived last week without a stitch of clothing. I found an auction of mixed size clothes and another doll that I really didnt want, but there were so many clothes and blankets for less than $10 including shipping. Mushka is a big girl who is all hard plastic and I was left wondering why anyone would give a child something so uncuddley. She does nothing but sit and stare with a rather morose expression. Pessie on the other hand has the strange ability to take on different expressions.
The first night I took her to bed, during the night somehow she got moved to the side where Mr. B (large furry cat) sleeps sometimes next to my head. I tend to move alot during sleep, not to mention talking and at times laughing while asleep. But Mr. B never wakes or disturbs me, and if I happen to notice him and pet him during the night its an occasion that brings purrs from a cat who never, ever purrs. When Mr. B saw the small face staring up at him he made a strange meow that woke me and jumped off the bed. The next day when I showed the doll to the 2nd very curious cat, he sniffed Pessie up and down, licked her hand, nudged her with his head and then ignored her. No action coming from the doll, he lost interest right away.
The sole interaction between me and tiny Pessie is my holding her at night. Mushka gets dressed for shabbos, as does Pessie, and remains on the bookshelf staring into space. And that's it on the subject of dolls.

No comments: