Friday, September 23, 2011

Checking in w Myself

After 10 days in hospital, returned home yesterday. Hip replacement and leg lengthened to match the other one.
Very tired.
After repeated requests to hospital staff to clarify whether home care was indeed covered under insurance, after all, insurance just paid for 7 days rehab, doubtful they would pay for home care. They waffled and whiffled, called daughter to leave messages when they found my cell unresponsive- needed recharge after 10 days w/out use.

9:30am doorbell rings, its Ms. Nurse, come to assess my home care needs. Without appointment, nothing.
She didnt even look around, she talked a few minutes, asked for my insurance card and then tried to call at my insistence, got a machine and decided it would be better if she directed her attention to me and my needs. But before she could get started on her physical assessment, I had to eletronically sign my name to a document which I refused to do until, I was told what was being covered by insurance.

Poor young lady...in her lovely matching scrubs. Calls her supervisor who was talking so loud I could hear her even though the cell phone was against the nurses ear.
"Tell her she has a $500 deductable she has to pay before any visits are covered an each visit is $22.50."

Maybe they thought by bullying me by showing up unannounced, leaving messages with family members to pressure me to accepting home care that I would 'find' the $500/$22.50 for a couple of months. Unfortunately I have to 'find' $251. for the increase in COBRA payments. Smart me thought paying in advance would ensure I was done with paying for COBRA through December. I'm now up to $870 a month including medications. My former employer who is mainly responsible for the incredible back injuries accrued over 2 decades of having to shlep portfolios, artwork and heavy boxes to meetings and back, wouldnt dream of offering me coverage during this year prior to Medicare...as long as there's a drop of blood, they'll suck it up. They're already pissed I walked away approved for disability.

Alot of phyiscal pain, need to sleep...cats want to play, make up for lost time. no matter how many times I tell them time lost is lost forever, they seem to think otherwise.

No comments: