Thursday, June 30, 2011

Surgery, cats, stuff

Surgeon scheduled surgery during month of AV and since I follow the english calendar...its a good thing I have one daughter albeit she's in Israel that caught the problem and suggested moving the date back after the Nine Days. That was done, but the pain is horrendous now and I can barely get any sleep. I moved from the bed with the useless foam mattress I bought to put on top of the pillow top to relieve pressure on joints, to the futon in the living rm. I dont know if its the foam after 3 years just doesnt hold up, its not temperpedic, but the same advertised density foam, but now its like a pile of cotton that I sink into and to turn during the night requires waking up every time and carefully moving. One night my knee dislocated, just popped by being moved without thinking. And taking pain meds a month before surgery is not good, surgeon isnt using full anesthesia, he uses a local block-he's a madman and if I had any brains would look for another doctor. But with everything involved doing hip replacement, adjusting the apt, buying equipment for bathrm, rearranging kitchen etc, my main concern now is how and if I can continue managing the cats. As of now its very difficult bending to grab their food dishes, water dish and cleaning the litter box. I found a litter rake that I can buy to replace the short scoop, so that isnt an issue. I think also I need to purchase a stool with wheels so when doing things like scooping poop or picking up food bowls I will be lower to the ground and not having to bend from the hip/waist. I wrote to a shelter this morning asking if they can recommend some solutions as to what to do with the cats, maybe its best I give them up. They meow and cry when I sleep outside the bedroom where they spend their time. Its rare they spend more than a few minutes outside in the living rm. All their things are in one place, they feel safe in the bedroom and since they havent been here more than 2 months, its still hard for them. But then I decided to be more adult (!) and look into pet sitting. The idea of paying someone to come into my space creeps me out, not for the money, but for the idea that someone is in my personal space. But it seems that locally there are some bonded and experienced pet sitters and so this might be the best solution. I can have a girl come in 3x a day for about $20 and would do it for a week-these guys dont need anything, well Mr. B doesnt, maybe Taytee would love some attention and affection, he's normal. Mr. B doesnt let anyone pet or hold him...its gets worse each year. I think he needs a vet visit and I would like to do this before surgery, because it will be too much for some time afterwards. Just taking a piss is a physical feat now with so much joint pain. But can't reserve pet sitter until I know the decision of dentist-since I just moved here have to see a new dentist for teeth/ mouth medical clearance for surgery. So if any dental work is needed, everything is on hold, everything. I think buying a wheelchair and sitting in it would be less money, aggravation all around. The damn hip takes about a full year to completely heal (read the fine print) and they say about 6 wks...they told me my knee would heal in 2 wks and back to work. That was 3 decades ago and the surgeon took the torn miniscus out and left a busted knee inside with no solution. So the knee also needs to be replaced. I asked the surgeon if doing this operation wasn't like opening pandora's box...start with one hip and then piece by piece everything will need to be replaced. Nothing like going under the knife with confidence and optimism:-)

No comments: