Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Complicated Grief Session 4

This week begins a period of sessions where I must visualize and describe the moment I heard of father's death, where I was, what I saw, what went on, who was there-the 'who what where why and when' These sessions are taped, I have given the tapes, the therapist makes his own copy simultaneously.

Which is followed by an exercise of putting the visualization away and then rewarding one'self. A physical location is selected and I visually place the tape back into its box and put the box in a cabinet, to be revisited everyday. I think its similiar to forcing someone smoke a whole pack of cigarrettes and get them so sick they dont return to smoking again.

Time stands still as you recall details you havent thought about in years, as your right in the moment, its present tense during the visualization. But listening to the tape replayed, it went so quickly. And I definately have a New Yawk accent, its softer than most, but now I know why people here ask if I'm from NY.

Immediate reward (same day at most) was to buy a small hair barrette. I cant afford to cut it yet, so that's 2nd best.

No comments: