Friday, January 13, 2012

"Let's Play Dentist"

Standing joke in our house, I have 2 cats that love to lay belly up, paws waving and snore. This week was manicure/pedicure time and while clipping Mr. B's nails, smelled terrible breath, so bad it could have killed a passing herd of buffalo. After finishing his majesty's toes I pulled his gums back and opened his mouth.

He has a rotting molar that is actually wiggley, so I was careful not get too curious but clearly it needs attention ASAP. ASAP for me is taking out a loan because even if its only one extraction, it might mean much more. It seems cats get all kinds of dental diseases, some so intractable that ALL teeth must be removed or regular medications given to the patient. I dont mean to joke about this, but losing his teeth would be a relief for his playmate because when B2 runs through the house meowling as if he had a nightmare, Mr. B runs after him, jumps on his back and bites his neck...doesnt bite through, just takes B2 by the scruff and holds him in one place. I have no idea where these two found this emotional cure for anxiety but it reminds me of 16th century therapy where hysterics were bound tightly or like swaddling a baby.

A friend told me to try using the animal shelter clinic as its much less expensive than a private vet. There's one cat clinic nearby, appointments only, weekends never available, $60 for routine checkup etc. So I'll check the shelter that's also close by first.

What's interesting is how Mr. B when from sulky and lack of appetitie to head butting me, gobbling up his food and cuddling up to me after he realized that I found what hurts him. What hurts me is there's no way to explain why I havent already tackled his problem and taken him to a doctor. But after bills are in order, he's top priority.

We have at least 2 inches of snow down and I made a dash early this morning  for a few items before it got anything like it is now!
As cold as it is,the snow and crisp air is so beautiful. Since B2 remembered the 'snowing' from NYC when we lived there, he was excited running from window to window watching the flakes fly around this morning. When I got home I took a small dish pan and filled it with snow and brought it in for him. He paws at it and likes to watch me make it 'snow' by trickling it. He gets it on his nose, his forehead, he plays until the cold hurts.

My indoor thermostat flits between 57-59, so I add another layer and need to invest in thermal wear. I had to put away the space heaters because the electric bill was more than when I used the central heat system. Only Mr. B has a heater now, he truly cannot bear the cold; before I got him a radiant heater he stopped eating and just huddled under the bed. He stays in front of that heater on a stack of blankets rolling around so just the right spots get warmed up, most of the day.
What a life....

No comments: