Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Walls

Watched Mr. Obama look 'casual' with his jacket slung over his should as he disembarked from his jet in Israel, I'm reminded of the admonition that one should always hold the snake by its head, for it will always attempt to land a lethal bite.

Israel is now viewed by outside media as a country the size of New Jersey (small) with all borders aligning Arab countries having fences...actually a fence is lacking in the magnitude of these structures-high, cemented, razor wired, thermo sensored--shutting out and keeping in.

Why shit, I'm done the same thing in my own apt!!! It's a bitch out there and I've created a safe haven in 2.5 rooms, albeit I lack razor wire and other sophisticated technology so keep out the tunnel rats. For Jews, that's what its come down to, Us vs The World. I know this, have known this since my divorce in '05.
Having married an Egyptian translator (of my own writing) and extended all the generous benefits this country offers to residents of american citizens, I put up with 3 years of being smacked, punched, told what to do, being asked to hand over my paycheck, received unannounced office visits while working, was taken on his 2 hr translation jobs after coming home from my own 9 hour job and commute...you get the idea.

When a person is dying for water or has lived too long in abject misery, even an opportunity to change their life can be so overwhelming they wind up sabotaging themselves. Or I could blame it on his youth or my being older (no it wasn't a sex thing--I actually thought since I wanted to marry to avoid dying alone, I would accept his proposal) or I could blame the internet since he discovered the unfettered manner one could play online and then make play time/real time by meeting up with the women he talked to all night while I tried most futilie to sleep as the screen flickered...but I accept it was all my fault for being stupid and needy. The point here was...no matter all the money spent to make his residency happen, his flights, my trips, the fees, his living expenses in america, all were for naught when I finally and belated filed for divorce...he compared me to the Jewish woman who poisoned his Prophet, he refused to eat anything further I cooked and called me a filthy Jew. For the record, I shower daily.

I'm intellectualling arguing within about how long american Jews can watch and live from afar as life in Israel become more precarious for our families, friends and those who laid down their lives previously to prevent another Holocaust...because it seems the clock is ticking once again.


No comments: