Friday, December 16, 2011

Shingles

12.16.11

After 2 months of symptoms that had a rhuematologist and PCP ping ponging me back and forth, incorrectly prescribing antibiotics because each one thought the other should be tending to my symptomology and was dismissive of my flulike chills, intense joint pain and even worse fatigue, while knowing my medical history, finally was referred to a gastroenterologist who saw me on an emergency basis Friday morning.

Once you have chicken pox as a child, the virus is dormant and in strong immune systems, remains dormant.
Shingles occurs mainly in older adults with weak auto-immune systems (I have multiple rhuematoid issues) and can be extremely painful and exhausting. I get 2-3 attacks a year that were attributed to be rhuematic flares.

In 2011 before leaving NY I had the worst attack that paralyzed me from the waist down, total body rash for 5 days with mad itching and unable to use legs or walk. Thankfully my landlady wrote down everything as a record for my former doctor, who read it and shrugged. I kept the letter detailing what happened, the doctor this morning read it and after examing me put the pieces together.

Triggers that make Shingles reappear are certain medications (none that I use) and severe stress.

Good, intelligent doctors are rare and I see good medicine often has little to do with bedside manner. My PCP is handsome, great 'bedside' manner and an idiot who is focused on how many diagnostic codes he can slap on my insurance forms to milk as much as he can in payment. I think he needs to be replaced.  As well as my Indian rhuematologist who only speaks with patients every 3 months and lost patience when her Bactrim prescription did nothing. "Please followup with your PC"
On a whim, he prescribed CIPRO "I've prescribed antibiotics for less than whatever you have, so if it works, it'll tell us one thing and if it doesnt, that will tell us something else" 
Sounds like great doctoring doesnt it?
But the dummy here felt so sick, she took the pills until the cure was worse than the illness.
I'm still recuperating from the side effects of Cipro.

A simple thought (doubt he would appreciate a prayer) for Christopher Hitchens who passed away Thursday...that the G-d he denied and scorned, blasphemed and blamed as the cause of much human suffering, embrace him as the prodigal son come home at last.

No comments: