Sunday, January 2, 2011

Remembering Billy Taylor

Sunday afternoon, alot of laundry, made a batch of snowball cookies and listening to a radio marathon of Billy Taylor's jazz piano recordings solo and with other musicians.

My father loved going out to restaurants, though it was hard to understand why he did as so many times he would wind up so inebriated he didnt eat a forkful of steak or whatever he ordered.

But one place he loved and was well known and respected was the Hickory House in NYC. He took me with him many times for dinner and Billy Taylor was the resident piano player. In the 50's it was common to have a 'house' musician or band playing during dinner.

I was about 7 years old and my father trotted me around town on his many diversions, going to the bookie on Riverside Drive, going to Aqueduct Race Track, eating out at fancy restaurants because there were foods my mother didnt or couldnt make for him. I had just started taking piano lessons and my father, being a legend in his own mind and in some cases, actually was one in his time, felt I should introduce my little self to Billy Taylor (later known as Dr.Taylor). Refusing to walk up to the piano while Taylor was doing a set was unthinkable even to a 7 year old, but it was actually easier than arguing with a drunk.

Whether Taylor understood my predicament or not, he played as I slowly went up to the side of the piano and stood there listening, wishing I was invisible. Without stopping his playing he motioned me to come closer and then moved over so I could sit next to him. He didnt say a word...he just shared a few minutes of the end of his set and walked me back to our dinner table. My father was being served his apple pie and cheddar cheese (he salted his watermelon too) and very loudly offered Mr. Taylor a drink. Billy Taylor demurred quietly and went back to his band. And going home in the cab I couldnt stop sobbing and couldnt understand why I was except that for a spilt second someone saw it, someone understood it all and without saying a word offered solace. A gentle man...it seems all his life.

No comments: