Monday, July 25, 2011

BlueJay baby

BlueJays make a racket-they squawk, screech, call and caw...and that's on a good day. But this morning the noise level reached crisis mode so that even a human could tell something was wrong. The BlueJays normally chase the stray cats around the back of the house. They come at them like dive bombers, swooping down and soaring back into the branches while screeching. It seems like a game because I've never seen a cat actually stalk the birds who move so much faster and are so noisy in their threats. But this afternoon there had been a short heavy storm. I went outside as the rain was ending, the thunder still rumbled and I put out a bag of trash and on the way back to the steps noticed a small huddled lump sitting on the cement step by the old unused garage. A bird doesn't sit alone, especially with his elders (i dont know if its a he or she) flapping past and screeching instructions to get his little behind back up into the nest. But he could'nt, he could only hop/flap, hop/flutter. So I tried first to talk softly to calm him, but even looking at me with his big clear eyes sideways, he wasnt sure and hopped under the single parked car. The drizzle was still coming down and I brought out a box with some crushed cereal hoping he might be hungry enough to hop inside, at least until some Grand Poo Bah Bird could figure out a solution of getting him back upstairs. But they just continued flying, swooping, yelling and about an hour later I checked, he had come out from under the car and was a sitting duck for any passing cat, and there are many. Normally I would leave nature alone-stray cats being the exception, the bird might be too wounded and need to be left alone. But he seemed clear eyed, could flap both wings so I brought a light scarf out and slowly sidled up to him, dropped it on him which of course brought a squawk and then gathered him up, put him and the scarf into the box and sat on the porch with him until I could figure out if he was alive or dead because his eyes were shut, but he seemed to be breathing. After a half hour of being finger tip petted and cooed at he settled down and I open the scarf to give him more room, as the scarf parted he became startled, hopped up, began flapping and screeching, but again couldnt fly. Luckily he calmed down once my hand was around both wings and his legs latched onto my finger for dear life. I became a tree branch for awhile because no amount of gently trying to remove myself from his grip was working. Mr. B was meowing at the window sill, then the door becuase I had shut it and he knew I was out there doing 'something' that was not something he would approve of. Earlier in the day he had to whomp Bootie on the head for not sharing the toy I gave them, so he wasn't in the mood for anymore nonsense. I still had BabyJay in my hand, his eyes wide open, his foot curled around my finger and had to ease myself into the house, bring the box inside and of course both boys wanted to see what the fuss was. A bird! a real bird and they could sniff it and Mr. B almost began cleaning it, but I wouldnt let him do that just yet. I needed something deep enough to keep him from hoping out, and found a wicker basket, lined it with a towel, then the scarf I used placed in a corner and laid it in the tub. But he still was hanging on to my finger so we went into the living room, I opened my blouse and put him against my chest, to feel the heartbeat and calm down. He fell asleep and I could finally feel him breathing deeper, his little white breast heaving up and down. His legs seem okay, both can grip so I dont think they're broken. I carried him into the bathroom and nestled him into his temporary home, Mr. B is going in and out pretending he's on guard duty. I offered BabyJay some catfood, but he wasnt having any of it. I may try some raw meat later. I called the Humane Society, because it may be best to place him back outside and let nature take its course, its their call. In the meantime, I have tweezers and some red meat I can make tiny 'worm'
shreds and see if he's hungry. Not sure if the cats will tolerate having the bathroom door closed tonight..but either way its likely anyone will get much sleep...he's a loud little bird.

No comments: