Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Died overnight

It was too quiet this morning, so after morning prayers I went out on the porch, the bluejays had nothing to say, not a squawk or a screech and nothing was moving in the brushes were I left the babyJay. I figured he or his parents got him back into the nest safely and returned inside to put together some medical equipment that came at 10:45PM last night-yes, you read that right. And I was wondering how neighbors could bang on my door at 10:30pm, seems the club life may end at 9pm but the night life goes on as needed. The large heavy packing box went out on the porch, the boys followed me and Ms. Pussycat, our calico princess was sitting on the side of the house peeking up at our porch. I asked her if she had had breakfast and she ambled under the porch window where I was talking to her and meowed her whiney little lady like meow. So once again I told her to wait and we brought her a tiny dish of food, of course Mr. Boo ran over to his dish and pulled the rag rug over both dishes, maybe thinking I was going to serve his food to her. He was concerned last night when I popped open a can of their food to try to feed the bluejay. I walked to the back where I had left the baby last night and found him down inside a thicket of branches. He must have hopped over and tumbled in a couple of inches too deep to be able to get out. Still it didnt seem right to leave him like that so I picked him out gently to be sure he was dead and then brought him inside, wrapped him in a single sheet of papertowel and we went back outside with a rake. The side of the house is shaded and has soft moist earth unlike the rest of the backyard which has gravel or alot of heavy branches and poison ivy against the far brick wall. I dug a hole, placed him down and covered him with as much earth as I could. The bluejays must have known he was dead, because when I took up from the branches a few squawks went out and continued as I buried him. I doubt it was anything more than them being annoyed their property was being touched. Since I was digging I took the impatiens plant from the porch and replanted it near his little mound. Impatiens dont like alot of sun and this spot is shaded almost all the time. A house painter working for the landlord came by and when I explained why I was raking the ground he chuckled and said, "well, dem birds prolly found him and killed 'em lass nite."

No comments: