Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Shmarya Rosenberg

The Jewish Daily Forward published today the arrest of Rabbi M. Keller, pedophile. Not alleged, the list of complaints trails from Israel to the US and who knows where else. But who keeps the Jewish community informed, thereby protected and aware, it is Shmarya Rosenberg whose website Failed Messiah has for over a decade led the clarion call for frum communities to wake up and smell the shmutz already. From shady business practices to sexual abuse swept under the rugs, he has shown mesiras nefesh where rabbonim and similar leaders stepped back, not wanting to soil themselves or their families. While I love the Rebbe for the life he provided my family all the years we lived in CH, there were simultanenous dark times, that only now, decades after my children are now grown, are coming to light. And yet rabbis continue to argue, who are we to report abuse to? We must continue to Ask-The-Rav first so he can determine whether the incident warrants secular meddling in community affairs. This does not mean only when a child is molested, this includes domestic violence of any kind. G-d rest his soul, until today I can see Rav Dworkin looking at me under his eyelashes in his dimly lit office and questioning if my ex was acting out because maybe I wasn't "doing enough as a wife?" The audacity to ask a woman pregnant 5x in 6 years, while nursing and without any family help if she's busy between the sheets-blame the victim-or in our case it was victim(s) since my children were recipients of his wrath when the mood struck him, like I didnt get them into bed fast enough for him so his evening could begin. Well, enough of my ancient tsouris, its along time a'comin that the doors of being opened, the rugs are being pulled back and the curtains are parting. I will say to anyone stopping by here, do not make the mistake in assuming the problem of abuse in any form lies only with rabbonim or people who have obvious authority over children, its the bus drivers, maintenance men and aids who work unnoticed that also must be carefully checked. I do not make this suggestion without cause and will say no more because this is a decades old issue and my children are adults now. While my little blog blathers on daily about whatever looms in my world, Shmarya is working for the klal, whether you agree with all his work or not, he is a true hero for all of us.

No comments: